Wednesday, July 26, 2006

My cole slaw - or maybe I should call it 'cabbage salad'

My Cole Slaw (cabbage salad?)

This is a nice dish to take somewhere (picnic, pot luck supper) since it keeps well. It is good in summer, but also in winter because cabbage and carrots are apt to be among the few cheap fresh vegetables then. (The pepper is optional.)

Pat's Cole Slaw

In a food processor (preferably, or with a hand grater otherwise), shred cabbage and carrots, slice green pepper thinly. Mix.

Add a drained can of crushed pineapple in its own juice,
reserving the juice (optional).

You want the cabbage to be about 60% of the mix, with the
other ingredients being the remaining 40% of the mix.

Dressing for cole slaw:

* 1 part olive oil
* 1 part cider vinegar or lemon juice
* a little of the pineapple juice, if you used pineapple (optional)

Mix the dressing very well to emulsify it. I use
my stick blender or a whisk for this.

Dress the cole slaw, and toss it lightly to mix. Let it sit in the fridge for at least a couple of hours before serving. This keeps well for several days.

2 Comments:

At Monday, 14 August, 2006, Blogger cathych said...

love your blog! Stop by for a visit sometime? Let me know if you knit!

 
At Wednesday, 01 November, 2006, Blogger Pat Meadows said...

Hi Cathy, No, sorry, I'm not a knitter. My daughter and son-in-law are Baha'is too!

Pat

 

Post a Comment

<< Home